March is Flood Safety Awareness Month
With spring just around the corner, and floods threatening southern Utah, Utah Gov. Gary R. Herbert has declared March as Flood Safety Awareness Month (download the declaration here). This is a chance to dispel some of the myths about flooding and how Utahns believe they are protected. Check out the following disclaimer video.
- FACT: Floods can happen anywhere in Utah.
- FACT: Homeowners insurance typically doesn’t cover flooding from outside the home.
- FACT: About 97 percent of Utahns don’t have flood insurance.
- FACT: Flood insurance is affordable.
- FACT: Our Division of Emergency Management has created a new website to help Utahns get a flood insurance quote. FloodFacts.Utah.gov
Utah Current Conditions Map
Find my Emergency Manager
The Great Utah ShakeOut
Mark your calendars for April 18, 2019, for the eighth Great Utah ShakeOut!
Nearly 1 million Utahns participated in 2018! You can still sign up your family, church group, business, school or workplace at ShakeOut.org/utah. In the mean time, you can upload photos, stories or videos to the ShakeOut website by logging into your profile. Take time to ramp up your preparedness by visiting our BeReadyUtah.gov program.
Since 2012, 6.6 million Utahns have participated in the Great Utah ShakeOut. You can also download your own banners to display on your website, blog or Facebook page from the Resources section of the site.
Want to know who’s participating? Here’s the list.
Follow the ShakeOut on Twitter: @UtahShakeOut or by using the hashtag #shakeout there, on Pinterest or Instagram. Check us out on Facebook, too: Facebook.com/UtahShakeOut
- Power outages
- Lightning Safety
- Extreme Heat
- Earthquake Preparedness
- Wildfire Season
- Winter Weather Preparedness
- Flood Safety Awareness
- National Preparedness Month (September)
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month (October)